Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Thing About iTunes

So, it appears to be time for an edition of "Julie's Notes About Stuff That She Finds Amusing, Annoying or Puzzling". (JNASTSFAAP for short...er). This edition is about iTunes, as should have been fairly obvious from the title.

As the owner of an iPod, I have ripped my extensive CD collection onto iTunes, and have noticed something that I find amusing (that's the second "A" in "JNASTSFAAP") Other than the fact that I had very poor taste in music up until about five years ago (3 N'Sync CDs, 1 Simple Plan) I have discovered that people have a propensity for ripping an entire CD onto their computer despite the fact that they only like one song on said CD. 

I ripped the entire "Now! 5" CD to get one Barenaked Ladies song (Yes, that's right, I ripped the Hampsterdance onto my computer, tainting it forever, to get "Get in Line". I really like Barenaked Ladies. The Band. Nevermind.) 

It's not just me, either. On the iTunes of both friends and family I find songs unchecked, not being transfered, not out of lack of space, but because the song just sucks. Why is this? Why don't we just delete these leper-songs, and make our iTunes clean once again? Is it out of some strange sense of nostalgia? That's why you can find 3 CDs worth of Backstreet Boys on my iPod. Is it out of the fear that, some day, we may actually want to listen to the Hampsterdance or that really annoying song sung by Fat Joe and that one-album-wonder-chick (Ashante? I think that was her name...) about what love has to do with it? Or, perhaps, it's just to be able to say "I have 7.7 days worth of music on my iTunes!" Never mind the fact that you only listen to about half of it, it's still there. Whatever the reason, I have an Enrique Iglesias song on iTunes because I like the Barenaked Ladies. It's worth it, though. Oh yes. And who knows, maybe I might want to listen to "Rhythm Divine" someday. Someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment